Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Technique Tuesday...

Happy Tuesday,

Well its back to normal and Its a technique simply because it's Tuesday.  Today's technique is masking using the demo I did on my shows at the weekend.  The secret to this masking is the Cricut transfer tape.  This allows you to stamp onto it, cut it out and because it is transparent you can see exactly where you place it.  The other benefit is that it is removable and can be used over and over.

To make the background I stamped the leaf from my Dog flower set a few times on the tape (make sure this is a second generation stamp as you do not want to use too much ink as it can take a while to dry)  Next cut out the leaves exactly on the lines you can store these on a piece of normal card until you want to use them then simply place them back for future use.  next I stamped leaves, using archival black ink, onto a piece of pumice foundation card along the side.  Next I masked these off using the transfer tape masks I made earlier.

To achieve the faded look I grabbed distress ink in Spiced marmalade and tea dye over the image using the new Creative Expressions smoothies.  These are brilliant as you can't get a line in your colouring as there are no edges!

I removed the masks and placed them on a piece of card for another use and cut the edge of the background along the edge of the leaves.

Finally I stamped the main element form the set and decoupaged the flowers back on top by stamping 2 more of the main elements and hand cutting out the spray of flowers on the top.  A ribbon bow and small black dazzlers finished the card (along with a square 21 x 21cm card base made up of layers of Taupe and black foundation card.

Ingredients:
CE Clear stamps Dog flower frame elements - by me
Cricut transfer tape
Distress ink in spiced Marmalade & Tea Dye
CE Smoothies
Foundation card in Pumice, Black and Taupe.

If you'd like to see a video of this technique then it should be available on catch up on Create and Craft until Friday!

Enjoy...

31 comments:

  1. Hello John, a fabulous card, love the way you have created the shaped border around the leaves, and great colours from the DI range used together. Have a good day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning John,

    Gorgeous card, love all the blending, will have to look into getting some of them smoothies lol!

    Have a great day.

    Love &Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card today, your stamps are very popular especially this one as Julia Watts has used it on one of her cards.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning John this card is beautiful. I love the technique I must give it a go. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, another beautiful card!
    I did not have the dogwood stamp on my hit list but now I do , those leaves are such a good size and the flower is lovely!
    XxxRuth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning John, Beautiful, the more I see of your stamps the more I want to give stamping a go! Thank-you for sharing with us, Junex (Cumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning John,
    A stunning card, love the stamps. Those smoothies look like a good idea, will have to investigate where to get them.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning Jhn

    Loved this card when you demo'ed on the show. I also will get some smoothies
    Hugs
    Carol,x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning John beautiful cards, love the technique

    Have a great Tuesday everyone, stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    This is simply stunning and possibly my favourite of all the cards you demoed.
    Must get a hold of some smoothies and the cricut paper!
    Lorna D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John, wow,stunning card and love the composition of this card,not to keen on the bow ,to me it over powers the beauty of your gorgeous stamps.Take care Jane B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning John, Wow !!!!! I love this. The placing of the stamps, the colouring, and the fabulous, fabulous wavy border, I love it !!!
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stunning card. I see Julia has used the same stamp this morning. Guess she likes them too.
    Cheers
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eh up John
    Love the blended effect and I can testify,the Smoothies blend beautifully and are very ergonomic in design.
    The tape is a genius idea.
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John, brilliant card, ordered loads from C&C, but didn't see the smoothies, so where can I get them from please as they look to blend beautifully. X Ros

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great card John, and I love the idea of the cricut tape!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Cricut transfer tape, amazing idea to use it for masking. I have some stashed away somewhere. Time to get it out. Fabulous card John. I said it several times already, your stamps are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A fabulous technique - love the stamp

    ReplyDelete
  19. fab card ,with a great technique and a fab result ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous card John - saw you using this technique on C&C and am now waiting for my smoothies to be delivered. Can you let us know where you got your cricut transfer tape please - I've looked everywhere and it only seems to be available in the US. Currently I use Eclipse Masking Tape which is good but as it's paper it doesn't last as long as I think the vinyl tape would.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi John Such a simple idea - we just need to be told about it!! At the risk of repeating myself, your stamps are wonderful, love from Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, this card is stunning. What a wonderful technique. As I live in Canada, I can't see the shows live and have been trying to catch up on them. Will have to check this one out before Friday. Thanks for sharing this wonderful technique.

    ReplyDelete
  23. More clever layering. I like your idea of making extra to use later. They would make great gift tags.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such beautiful warm colours. A really classy and modern design. I like it alot.
    lots of love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. John,
    Lovely use of the flowers and leaves as a divider for the card. Warm, inviting and innovative as usual. thanks for the new technique.
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  26. how wonderful! I love what you have done here, John! hugs, de

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love this card as it so different and love the technique used too - liking the look of the pumice stone card as well and did wonder if it was the taupe card that had been re-named but obviously not!! How brill to see the stamps 'by me' in your ingredients list! A bit like the X-files ending 'I made that' if you watched them you will know what I mean - if not you may think I've lost it!!! xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. A very elegant card John, thanks for tip re the Cricut transfer tape, I thought so at the time when you were on C&C doing the demo x x x

    ReplyDelete