Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Technique Tuesday, Spellbinders Returns...

Happy Tuesday,

Today's technique is inserting a die cut back into its frame.  There are lots of dies I am sure we all have where we love the pattern and the detail however we don't always want to use it as a frame and want the pattern.  I like to alter the look of my dies by using them in this form.  I like the look of the same colour filigree pattern sitting in the frame made when cutting it!

I stared by Die cutting the largest die form the Spellbinders Label 42 Decorative accents set form the centre of a square of sky blue foundation card.  I then added a larger mat of white however I added a small piece (larger than the aperture) of double sided adhesive to the front and stuck the square I had die cut from on the top.  This left me with a sticky area the same size as the die cut, all I had to do was reinsert the die cut piece.

Top add some detail I dusted mica powder using the blue and neutral mica from the garden floral set, over the sticky bits that were visible through the die cut.  This give a beautiful soft sheen to the filigree and helps to make the main element 'pop'

I then ran a strip of Cosmic Shimmer Aurora sparkle twinkles around the edges of the die cut and foam mounted the square die from the spellbinders set into the centre.  The twinkles have an interference in them which means they catch the light and shine they also come with a long applicator tube making 'icing' the edges of die cuts really easy!

I finished the card by adding my usual Matt's and layers of matching card and a piece of the sky blue that I ran through the quilted flower A4 embossing folder by CE.  I inked all over the piece using Stormy Sky distress ink and a smoothie (I simply love these as they make inking so easy especially for heavy handed crafters like me!)

Ingredients:
Spellbinders labels 42 Decorative elements die set
CE Clear stamps Fern frames elements stamp set
Cosmic Shimmer Aurora Twinkles
Cosmic Shimmer Garden Floral mica set
Sky Blue & coconut white foundation card.


Enjoy...

42 comments:

  1. Hi John, another lovely card, love the filigree die cut, and lovely colours too. Have a good day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John.
    Thank you. Take care Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a really pretty card, really stunning

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card I like the technique of using the mica xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning John this is a gorgeous card I love how you have used your dies. I will be off to look at my dies to see which one I can do this with. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful John, you are so clever with your dies and the frosting around the edges is so pretty!
    XxxRuth

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely card today John, really like how you have used the Twinkles and the die cuts, thank you for the inspiration, hugs to all, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John, lovely card again and I love the way you have used the dies, clever use of the Twinkles and love the colour. Thanks for the inspiration. Take care Jane B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab John but I need a video tutorial. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Eh up John
    Great card and no ribbon in sight lol!
    Not sure I would be as neat with the twinkly stuff.
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning John
    This card is stunning love how you have used the dies
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning John,
    Lovely card, love the colours.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John. Wow, this is a real stunner, I love it (don't you have a steady hand, not sure I would do such a neat job with the twinkles : ) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very clever and effective As soon as up mentioned "like icing a cake" I thought if you saw my icing on a cake you'd shudder with horror Back in the day when I made cakes for my children's birthdays I always used "ready to roll" stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning card, love the delicate colour combination. I'm also off to look at my dies to see how I can recreate this card.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John,
    It's another beauty!
    Lorna D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fab card john, yes i am getting into the embossed frame on the outside of the design too. Thanks for the 'Top Tip' ... per ching. Crafty Regard Julie kay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Morning John, Beautiful card, love this idea thanks for sharing!
    Junex (Cumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning John, such a pretty card my mum's favourite colour. I'm surprised there is no bow though as, dare I say, it looks quite bare without one!! love from Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John
    Beautiful
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Morning John, Wow !! a gorgeous card.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi John
    What a lovely card, I like the clean crisp effect of the card x x x

    ReplyDelete
  23. A beautiful card, love the blue tones x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi John
    I just found "you" several weeks ago. Your card designs are always beautiful and never overly done. Your tutorials are easy to follow and I want to express my thanks to you for taking the time to do them. I always look forward to finding something new from "John Next Door". Thank you!

    Gabriele (Paper-Shaper.com)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great but I think I would end up with blobs, not a nice twinkly line.
    Cheers
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning card, John.

    Another wonderful design.

    Thank you for sharing,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful card John. I love reinserting die cuts but have never tried dusting with mica. Your "icing" is just perfect. You must have a very steady hand. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful card John - I'm with you on reinserting the filigree bit of the die, do that a lot.
    HAGD, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  29. Delightful card John! A wonderful explanation of the technique used. Another brilliant use for mica, thanks :). Debra x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi John,

    Fabulous card, love the design.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another lovely card.
    I don't use mica as much as I should... I really like the effect.
    Love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another lovely card.
    I don't use mica as much as I should... I really like the effect.
    Love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Smashing card John, love the colours.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi John, I love what you have done in this card,am sad to say since these dies arrived with the clear film from cricut I haven't tried the dies out yet, feeling much better now so will try to get into my craft room I the morning. X Ros

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi John, when I opened the computer and saw this card of yours my words were ''Ooooh look at that'' What a stunning card, I just love it, everything about it is beautiful, thanks for sharing your ideas with us.
    Regards Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi John

    Very nice card, the embossed background looks amazing inked. The sparkles around the die look wonderful in real life I imagine

    Hugs

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Beautiful card John, I love the various shades of blue. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Another fab creation and a very brave man to edge with the sticky stuff - I would definitely make a boo-boo with that - lol xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi John,
    Another stunning card. Very pretty colour

    ReplyDelete
  40. Another fabulous card John. I love the colourway you have used.

    ReplyDelete
  41. fab card ,love the colours.Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  42. Stunning. Love the design John x

    ReplyDelete