Monday, 5 May 2014

Stick to what you know best...

Happy Monday!

Today's title refers to the fact that I am, again, posting a card with the Sue Wilson Background die form the Californian collection.  Its also square and large so I've kinda shown this style and design a few times lol.

This creation is different and not just because of a colour change this time I die cut the background using parchment which gives a different look!









I started by die cutting a square from parchment using the Sue Wilson Californian background die.  To cut a square you do have to run the die piece through twice moving the die to form a square.  I then , of course, studded this with ever present pearls (next project with this I will try to use something different do pearls come in black?!?)

I then die cut A4 pieces of card with different sized square alternately starting with navy and finishing with Navy.  The front piece was hand cut to match the square parchment piece which was back mounted behind.

To construct all I need to do was to foam mount each piece behind the front with foam tape getting progressively smaller each time.



The sentiment is cut using Spellbinders Radiant Rectangles centre die which  I inked in the die and stamped with the sentiment form Crafters Companion.  I mounted this onto a scrap of Navy and hand cut a border around it.


To decorate I added a trip of dotty ribbon in matching navy and white around the whole card front, as I wanted this to look as neat inside as outside, and tied it in a simple bow at the front.

The cameo is one I bought cheap in the U.K. last year sorry can't remember where from.  A few of Wendy's hatpins that match and finished.

Enjoy...

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. Love it : ) Feel free to show us as many variations using Sue's dies as you want. This card would be great for the men, with just a little tweek. Being on such a tight budget I colour white/cream pearls etc. with my Promarkers to match anything. Put on two coats -allow the first coat to dry for 5 mins, (it may look patchy at this point, don't worry)-and you are away. It means that I only have to buy one colour and that I never run out of a particular colour : ) Hope that helps you. Take care.

    5 May 2014 08:17

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another stunning creation! I also colour my (cheap) white pearls with my promarkers-works fine.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this background die and obviously so do others coz I struggle to find it in stock when I go to shop! Great idea with th parchment Will have a go with vellum (if it'll cut..?) I'm a cd crafter so don't own Promarkers (can only afford so much for my hobby) but you can buy black pearls lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning John,
    Love your creation, and I for one love to see the different way you use a die, so keep them coming.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. The parchment gives this a totally different look. Like it!!
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola John
    Use whatever dies you like matey. We all enjoy your super creations whatever you use and this is no exception. Loving the parchment.
    As the girlies have said, pearl colour is only limited by what colour permanent/pro markers you have. I think its my next post, with your pearls coloured with green Sharpie!
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea to cut out of parchment for a change. Somewhere I have a packet of coloured parchment that I could try, if only I could find it.. Love the sentiment too, it's a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John
    Such a lovely Sentiment and card and i love the colors you have used , i am going to have a play with parchment today as you have inspired me to have a go ,i really am enjoying all of your work with Sues dies so please keep them coming
    Take Care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning John, its a Bank Holiday and we have sunshine!! so I think I will head down to the sea front later to blow away the germs as I am full of cold but your card is giving me ideas as I'm sure I have some coloured vellum lurking somewhere and could try this idea out despite not having this die of Sue's! have a good day, best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab card and luvin the use of parchment - I would have expected it to tear the parchment in areas when trying to release it from the die so I probably wouldn't have tried it but it has worked a treat xx luv the whole card xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John,
    A wonderful card today...I'm loving the navy and the parchment. Use Sue Wilson's dies as often as you want John as I love them and in any case which ever die you use you always create beautiful cards.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. A lovely card John, what clever idea to use parchment. A lovely effect. Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John, Beautiful and what an abundance of pearls. Love the parchment look and navy is fast becoming a favourite colour of mine.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the use of parchment and the whole card.
    Try Ollie's for Black Pearls.
    Will be interested to see more use of parchment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John
    Another beautiful card. It looks so delicate and I love the effect of the colours showing through. I too have some vellum paper - I wonder if that will work too! Best wishes, Anne O (enjoying beautiful weather in Mallorca)

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely card ,so nice to see these dies using different materials.Laura O

    ReplyDelete