Happy Tuesday,
After an email from Rose yesterday I decided that today's technique should surround making backgrounds using Mica. Today card is a simpler version of the background on the card I had on the giveaway yesterday. This time I have used just the new Regal triplet from the latest range of craft dies from Creative Expressions for Sue Wilson.
On this card I have cut three strips of the double sided adhesive to mount the die cut and mica on.
The question form rose was is there a different way to add the Mica to the background and would perfect medium or similar work in the same way. Firstly after a few trials I have found that the double sided sheets work the best using the following.
Cut the die cut image to be mounted then add a piece of the DS adhesive sheet to a piece of card the same size as the die cut. I then add the die cut to the adhesive side and brush either one colour or a mix of colours into the gaps between the die cut where the sticky shows through. The benefit of this is that the die cut is secured down and secondly that you use far less Mica than if you make a plain background.
The second way to do this, as mentioned by Rose is to use a brayer to cover the piece at the back with perfect medium and then brush the mica over that. Whilst this does work it is a little more patchy than the adhesive and the issue is then how to attach the die cut. If you glue the die cut over it will remove the mica and may not stick down correctly. If you choose to try this method I would foam mount the die cut, with a larger bored, over the background to a part of the card that does not have Mica on it.
I would say on the adhesive sheets I am very careful and sparing with the ones I use and ensure that I use only the amount needed and use all the scraps. Any smaller leftover pieces can be used for smaller cards and tags.
Enjoy...
Hi John Thank you lovely technique, take care Kitty.
ReplyDeleteHi John. A beautiful card, it is so pretty. I love the Striplet, and the pierced flag die is great, it must save so much time. I can't wait to get it : ) Thanks for the explanation, it always helps those who are new or as a reminder. Take care.
ReplyDeleteMorning John,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful card, lovely finish with the mica's, thanks for all the extra tips.
Love & hugs
Jacquie J xxx
http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/
Hi John, great technique, and gorgeous card, love the recessed centre panel, makes it look so different. Have a great day. Bx
ReplyDeleteA lovely card and thank you for sharing this technique. I enjoy using mica powders but find when using perfect medium it can still come off when you handle it. I do use hairspray over it but it still can come of slightly. Hopefully with using the sheets this problem would not happen. Xxx
ReplyDeleteLovely card & great technique although I haven't got any mica powders so i won't be able to try this out. Might see what else I have in my room of stash!
ReplyDeleteMichele
Gorgeous card John and thank you so much for sharing this technique with us! I will have a go at it today.
ReplyDeleteMarion B xx
Hi John, Another beautiful card, I'm loving the differing heights of the triptych it adds interest, I love the colours and the mica looks fabulous.
ReplyDeleteLots of love from Patricia xx
Morning John, Beautiful card, will be trying this one, love the pierced flags and use them a lot. Thanks, June (Cumbria)
ReplyDeleteThank you John, for trying it out. In the case of those border dies I would use the double-sided adhesive sheets because it adheres the die beautifully without having to create a border to stick it to the background and I then apply whatever medium I want for my background (normally gilding flakes - I'm addicted). BUT it's good to know that I can use the mica over a larger area using a brayer, for other die cuts.
ReplyDeleteThe card is GORGEOUS.
HAGD, Rose
Sorry, meant "background dies" not "border"........
ReplyDeleteRose
I really must try this idea because it looks so effective I love this new Striplet but I 'll have to wait to save some pennies I treated myself to the ones on Sue's C&C show (used my C&C membership discount) Can't wait for them to arrive - sticky sheets at the ready
ReplyDeleteHi John, Back home after my travelling so I can concentrate on my blog following.
ReplyDeleteLove todays card. I have a couple of striplet dies and it's lovely to see a different way to use them.
Beautiful card today in a favourite colour of mine.
Love Val x
love these types of card with an inset.
ReplyDeletecarol
This card is absolutely scrumptious, beautiful colour and the design is not too fussy. Love it !!
ReplyDeleteLynne x
Morning John
ReplyDeleteThank you for this idea, I have the striplets so will try it.
Love the card
Hugs
Carol x
Morning John,
ReplyDeleteA love design showing off the striplet die so well. Love it.
Lydia
X
Hi John, What a beauty, Love the colour and the Mica give a gorgeous sheen - It is a stunning card. Have a good day, Brenda
ReplyDeleteHi John, lovely card, and reading through, it looks fairly straight forward. I don't have the same DS! so until I use up my old but still ok, yellow grid DS. Have a great day. X Ros
ReplyDeleteHi John, sorry haven't felt up to commenting so I didn't comment yesterday as you were giving a card away and that should go to someone who comments every day. Love this technique and the striplets are beautiful.
ReplyDeleteHugs Theresa (TOB) xx
Great card, and thanks for the explanation.
ReplyDeleteCheers
Janice W
Oh I do so love Sue's striplet dies they are all my favourites, a really lovely card showing the striplet die to it's full potential. Thank you for such good method details for us to follow John.
ReplyDeleteHugs
Margaret corgi owner
Love the technique John, thanks for the explanation.
ReplyDeleteEh up John
ReplyDeleteSimple elegant layout which shows the Striplet and mica off beautifully.
Did have to titter at the "Regal triplet" A Freudian slip as you cut it 3 times lol!
Love the colour too.
Off to brave the shops before work.
Have a great day.
Ang x
Such a pretty card, thank you for explaining how you did the mica background x
ReplyDeleteLovely card so well explained.
ReplyDeleteHi John
ReplyDeleteAnother stunning card using one of Sues striplet dies. Thanks for explaining how you did the mica background.
Hi John this is a gorgeous card. Thank you for the tips on using mica powder. Hugs Jackie
ReplyDeletefab card John and great tips today ,Laura O
ReplyDeleteHi John, lovely card and unique background love the colour! Take care Jane B.
ReplyDeleteHi John,
ReplyDeleteon reading the instructions to your beautiful triple faceted card i had to laugh on reading how you use every last scrap of double sided sticky paper and just thought we will make a Scot out of you yet. Your card is beautiful in the shades of green and i like the high low profile that you have set your diecut panels at to add that we bit more interest.
Thank you John for another wander through the world of John Next Door,
crafty hugs
Norah (Glenochil)
Odd, I know, but I've never got around to using mica, even though I own some. Really must dig them out and give them a try.
ReplyDeleteHi John. Beautiful card. Nice strong green colours.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the technique,useful tips.
Maria x
Hi John
ReplyDeletemy friend would.love this. I'm always thinking about green for her. Thanks for sharing.
Love Jo xx
Hi John
ReplyDeletemy friend would.love this. I'm always thinking about green for her. Thanks for sharing.
Love Jo xx
Hi John
ReplyDeleteVery nice card, thank you for another idea for the 'sticky sheets'. I used them for years with just glitter. Thanks to you and the other CE DT I have lots of things to use them for.
Hugs
T x
Hi John, great card today and thank you for the tutorial, they are so helpful to us newbies! Hugs to all, Linda.
ReplyDeleteFab card and love the colour - never used mica in this way but it looks so effective - I've stamped an image with Versamark and used mica to highlight it but never for a background but it looks so cool - a definite for me to try xx GailT xx
ReplyDeleteMany thanks for the tutorial. I bought the striplet dies on watching Sue's shows so am looking forward to trying something similar to your beautiful card.
ReplyDeleteThis is an absolutely lovely card. I love the color as well as the design:)
ReplyDelete