For those of you new to my blog I try to do a feature every Saturday which I have called Something Different Saturday. Now this is always craft based and because I love paper engineering usually a 3D item or a box. So if you are wondering that is why I post something more project based on a Saturday!
Now today's creation has a story, last week Jacquie mentioned that she had received an email form Creative Expression with a project from them making a card set or box from the SW background die. I had a look o the CE blog but couldn't find anything as I wanted to create an idea like his and I didn't want to copy anything. As I wasn't able to find anything I went ahead and made the version I've had running in my head for a couple of weeks! Hopefully this isn't too similar to what CE have put out I'm trusting my lovely Blog friends to tell me if it is or not!?!
I decided it would be fun to make a die cut box in one piece using a sheet of A4 paper using the Sue Wilson background die form the Spanish Collection. This is what I came up with...
Hopefully the pictures show that this box is not made up from separate sides but is die cut into a full sheet meaning there is only one side seem. This approach makes for a sturdier box which is important when there is a lot of filigree detail.
I started by measuring out the sizes then die cutting the panels. Next I inked through the die. I am planning a video Tut on this one for next week if there is demand so will hold off on too much details as it's easier to show you!
The cards are made by using the same die however this time I have made them in the remnants of the ginger card I used a couple of Weeks ago. These are made in the filigree technique where I leave a border on the top allowing me to put a solid cream backing on the card with the hinge created by the fold. I simply decorated the fronts by adding the centre panel form the background die with foam tape and inked them the same as the box.
The only additions I made to the basic box is a flap made of an offcuts from the background die and a bow. The bow is made using the double bow technique which is one of my earliest video tutorials click on my new Video Tutorials page to look at them all. I threaded the cream ribbon strip through the filigree and attached it at the bottom and inside the top so that it is an integral part of the box.
Hopefully a nice gift idea that is original, if CE have already done it then at least I tried!
Enjoy....
Another fab project - luv it all xx enjoy your weekend xx GailT xx
ReplyDeleteGood Morning, John,
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Saturday Something Different! Lovely colour combination using the Spanish Background, do I spy cream hammered on the side of the box?
Yes, please, a tutorial would really please me. Such a great gift idea!
Lis x
Hi John
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful project! I love the colourways of the cards and the box is stunning!
Best wishes, Anne O
Fantastic John. Love everything about it and I'm sure I´m not alone in wanting a tutorial from you when you get the time.
ReplyDeleteHave a good weekend.
Love Val x
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteOh your box is gorgeous...love it...love it...love it! Yes please I would love a tutorial. Happy weekend.
Love Sheila xx
H John,
ReplyDeleteWell what a lovely creation ,beautiful colors and fantastic bow , just lovely .
Yes we need a Tutorial if you and your lovely assistant have time { please find the time } i know how busy you are .
Take Care
Elaine H X
Hi John. Great box, yes please to a tutorial if you can manage it. Have a good weekend. Take care.
ReplyDeleteMorning John,
ReplyDeleteWow! wonderful creation, wish I could do things like this. A tutorial would be great when you and Wendy have the time.
Lydia
X
Good morning John, what a lovely project. I think the one you are referring to from CE is their Friday workshop project but this seems far less complicated!! best wishes Jackie.
ReplyDeletefab box as always ,great dies ,Laura O
ReplyDeleteHi John, a lovely box and yes please to the tutorial.
ReplyDeleteOh, John, this box is beautiful. The only thing I would change is the ginger, I like mine in biscuit form, dunked in tea! LOL. Would love a tute please, it takes me a while to try and work out where to score etc, so it would be very nice to have all the work done for us.
ReplyDeleteHola John
ReplyDeleteGorgeous box set and the bow is divine. Love a bit of ginger too.Size allowing, I always try and make my boxes from one piece of card (lid separate) because, as you say, it makes for a sturdier item.
Have a great day.
Ang x
Hi John
ReplyDeleteLovely box,yes it would make a lovely gift.
Love Angela x
A beautiful box John. Have a good weekend. Janice x
ReplyDeleteLovely box and YES PLEASE a tutorial is needed
ReplyDeleteAnother stunner John and yes please a video would be great. Love the design and colour, make a great gift.
ReplyDeleteLove & Hugs
Jacquie J xxx
http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/
I too love the colour combo,
ReplyDeleteI enjoy watching your tuts, especially knowing how you do them.
lol Nancy
Hi John wow wow,stunning love al about it, if I was making it.,which would take me weeks,I might change the burned orange/ ginger colour.Cards at times look better in the hand,and not in the photo .I would love a tutorials .I have half a card made for my sons engagement ,lol it is taking me for ever.
ReplyDeleteHave a great week end,
Hugs,
Ita
P.S I made a Sue Wilson paper rose this morning on lye took a few hours lol
ReplyDeleteIta
wow love it! beautiful work!
ReplyDelete