I'm not sure if this is a new technique but I can honestly say I haven't seen it anywhere as yet although I am sure someone has done it as its simple! What I am wittering about is the embossed patchwork background.
This started as a play session where I pulled out three shades of blue card from Lidl and cut a load of squares (by hand may I add!) I glued them together to make a patchwork piece however the edges kept peeking up. I wondered what would happen if I ran the whole piece, whilst still wet, through my GC in an embossing folder. I ran the piece through with the spellbinders folder and not only did it stick the pieces down but it merged the pieces into one merged solid piece and gives a lovely deep impression.
All I now needed to do was to find a way to display the piece. I mounted this on a sheet of white card stock then created a large sheet of the patchwork for the back. I didn't emboss this sheet however to make it stick i did run it through the GC with the tan mat and embossing plate which again stuck and merged the pieces.
The sentiment piece is made for the spellbinders labels 38 in the same colours. The last die cut is inked in a matching distress ink with the sentiment stamped in the middle.
I hope this gives you ideas to try and if you have seen this technique before then sorry!
Ingredients:
Lidl Cardstock
Spellbinders Harlequin M-Bossabilities folder
Spellbinders labels 38
Blue Liquid Pearls
Waltzing Mouse sentiment stamp
Woven ribbon from Hope and Chances.
Enjoy...
john this is fab ,a nice male feel to this one and a great idea to run through the GC to glue all pieces together and emboss at the same time .Laura O
ReplyDeleteLove the card & looks like your experiment worked, thats a great tip to know.
ReplyDeleteMichele.
Morning John,
ReplyDeleteFabulous card, great for Men. Love the technique i have not seen it done before, patchwork yes, embossed yes but not together! Love it.
Love the sentiment.
Love & Hugs
Jacquie J xxx
http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/
You're such a clever bunny John. Haven't seen this technique before but it looks so good . Must have a go. Love the card. Would do for so many occasions.
ReplyDeleteLove Val x
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love it when a plan comes together ,your card is lovely would suit many occasions and colors ,a lovely sentiment used .
Take Care
Elaine H X
Hola John
ReplyDeleteLove the patchwork and embossing. Sue Wilson has done similar effects but yours does look like its one sheet because its melded so well together.
Have a great day.
Ang x
Hi John, love the technique. The card is great for men.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea. xxx
ReplyDeleteMorning John,
ReplyDeleteWhat a clever idea, must give this a go, I have done patchwork before but can always see the joins, this will solve that problem. Thanks for the tip John.
Lydia
X
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteFantastic tip on how to merge patchwork! Thank you.
I copied Sue Wilson's quilt (January 2011) but made a right mess of it!
So I shall try again.
Lis x
Hi John,
ReplyDeleteFantastic tip on how to merge patchwork! Thank you.
I copied Sue Wilson's quilt (January 2011) but made a right mess of it!
So I shall try again.
Lis x
Great tip re embossing the "patchwork" to ensure it has stuck Lovely idea to emboss it to ensure it's stuck And weh hey! My local Lidl had their card back in stock! So (after trying the A3 bag - thanks) I'll definitely be trying this out!
ReplyDeleteMorning John - like some of the others have said I saw Sue Wilson do something similar but not running it through a machine while still wet and as Mrs D says this has made it look like one piece of card rather than a handmade patchwork piece - fab idea and one I will give a go with scraps of card I have - thanks for the tip xx oh and by the way luv the card too and the proverb - brilliant xx GailT xx
ReplyDeleteGreat idea for sticking awkward pieces down - will have to try it. Love the sentiment too, I'll have to look out for that one.
ReplyDeleteHi John, a lovely effect. I haven't done that technique on patchwork card, but I have tried it when I've done a woven background. (where you weave under and over other strips of card) Looks lovely. Janice
ReplyDeleteI have done this with a variety of different printed papers. The end result looks like a quilt. Very nice.
ReplyDeleteVery nice John.
ReplyDeleteNancy
Hi John found your blog through Mrs Duck!! lol fab card and love your style huggles Sue x
ReplyDeleteHi John and everyone ,this card Inspirational ,thank you for sharing this with us.
ReplyDeleteI am still in hospital , I am exausted ,and discovered this morning that I have a catheract in both eyes the right eye I have only 1% sight !and the left eye 50% ,any wonder I have to enlarge everything.
Ita in a very hot and sunny Ireland.
Hi John. Love the card, great one for the men : ) and the technique is similar to a lovely Sue Wilson one which I have done before. Take care.
ReplyDelete