Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Saturday, 23 April 2016

Mixed Media...

Happy Saturday,

Well once again this is something very different for me I thought It would be nice to show the different stages of making the mixed media piece I made last Sunday on Hochanda.  I have also added some shots at the end of the other pieces I made on the show ( as I did promise I would show these when on air)  I know quite a few of you couldn't watch the show however as I'm sure you have heard by now Hochanda is retiring to Freeview early on the 3rd May.  The heat thing for me is that I have the first show as I am launching the One Day Special the evening before which means that I will be doing the 9am show for the return!

The show where I demoed this is still available to watch on catch up simple click HERE to see the show

Start by painting a stretched canvas with Black Gesso all over.  next Place the mask chose, I have used the That Special Touch flower bed mask here, on the edge and spread clear texture paste through this to make the pattern.  Repeat this until the whole edge of the canvas is cited.  next simply add large glass microbeads over the texture paste, they will only stick where there is texture paste meaning that when dry all you will see is the pattern marked out in glass beads.


Next Add the mask back over the dry area and colour the centres using Marigold Cosmic Shimmer metals lustre paint.  next remove the mask and using 2 further shades of the paint ( I used Blue Topaz and Peacock feathers) paint freehand over the flowers tomato then look shiny and metallic.






Next Add a select n of mixed media or found pieces, I used ribbon roses, lace, metal corners and metal watch face embellishments ( all from Creative Expressions)  Next cover everything with a coat of the black gesso and either leave to dry or dry with your heat gun!



Finally once dry, add layers of the metallic lustre paints at random until you achieve the look you want.  For the side of the canvas I simply brushed various colours of the paints from the centre out finishing with a thin smoothing layer of the Chocolate Gold.

Some thing different and if this is your thing its worth watching the show on catch up while you can.  remember all Hochanda shows are available for a week on catch up!

Enjoy...

40 comments:

  1. Hi John.
    Thank you so much this is just Brilliant,
    I dont usually go for this sort, But I am going to have a go for my daughters Birthday.
    Take care Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! this is so stunning John, beautiful.

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning John, well this one is certainly different, it looks very pretty.

    Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning John
    This is so different for you. I hope you have it hung up somewhere in your home as it turned out beautiful.
    Anne M xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. john this is absolutely gorgeous watched the show you are so talented x Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning John,
    This is fab, I watched your shows on Hochanda and thought how different this is for you. You looked as though you thoroughly enjoyed your two hours, the an hour later you where back to "our" John . Brilliant!!!!!!
    Love and crafty hugs
    Tina T xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think I'd ever want to attempt something like this John, but you made a great job of it. The end result was marvellous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great John but not something I'd try. Your ideas are amazing.
    Jan
    Northampton

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very dramatic piece, what a lot of work- you're very clever.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this piece of work John, really enjoyed the mixed media shows too, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning John,
    A lovely project.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good morning John this is a stunning project I think I saw it at Ally Pally it is an impressive size. It is good news about Hochanda. Have a great weekend. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello John I really love this piece, the colours are fabulous, in fact I plan on going and getting some black gesso today. I love mixed media and i think you are very good at it. Have a great day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say i am enjoying your Artistic Flare , the colors and style are fab !!!!
    If i saw this in a shop John i would go in and buy it , i like it that much.
    Take Care
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant project John. The finished piece is stunning,a real work of art. Thank you so much for sharing.Take care Nick xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this when I saw you doing it on Hochanda. This is something I am getting into more and more. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend. Love Rosemarie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A very interesting piece that I enjoyed watching you make in the TV. The process doesn't appeal to me, (what about your steam punk parching I hear you cry!), however that doesn't stop me appreciating the end product.

    T

    ReplyDelete
  18. Morning John,
    I watched you do this on Hochanda and am inspired to give mixed media a try
    Have a great day
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  19. I too loved it on hochanda it's beautiful John can't wait for May when hochanda comes back thank you xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The more I look, the more I like!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi John, absolutely fabulous going to see if the video will download for me to watch hope you do more when we get back home.
    Nancyd xd

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi John
    I absolutely love this card and look, stunning X X X

    ReplyDelete
  23. This style of crafting is not for me, but as others have said, it does not stop appreciating an amazing piece of artwork, John. It is good to see you doing something completely different and you never know I might give a go some time!

    Anne (Northampton)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so lovely and I am so looking forward to having Hochanda back on Freeview - have missed so many great demonstrations.
    Many thanks,
    Sue Mac

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi John, this is absolutely stunning, I'll definitely watch the show and demo on Hochanda when back on. I LOVE everything about your creation - what an awesome gift that would make. ((But could I bear to let it go??)
    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eh up John
    This is stunning. Really is a head turning piece of art.
    Did panic seeing Hochanda "retiring" lol! and what's with "tomatoes"? You and predictive text is hilarious! Lol!
    Have fun in Bristol.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Morning John, WOW what a fabulous work of art. When you first did your sneak peaks of these I didn't realise they were on canvas and thought they were cards. I saw you do some of them on TV and fell in love with all of them. You should be very proud of your achievements.

    Lisbeth

    ReplyDelete
  28. W O Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww John

    As Lisbeth has commented I too must say that this is a "fabulous work of art" and something, thanks to you, I must try

    I love it, love it, love it!

    Smiles

    June :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is really quite wonderful John, I love the colour palette and all the texture you have created.
    A piece of art to treasure ,
    XxxxRuth

    ReplyDelete
  30. Brilliant. Love this John. I am going to give this a try but must get the paints first.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi John, not my thing but I can appreciate how much work has gone into it.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW this is stunning!
    Hugs
    Linda xxx

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just watched this as a Catch Up on Hochanda last night. Amazing and so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi John, This is awesome !! I missed this, so will be using the 'catch up' facility to find out how you made this 'beauty'.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! this certainly makes a statement John, it's gorgeous. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Although mixed media is not my 'thing', this is a striking piece. Was interested to read how it was made, but cannot figure out what the predictive text lit on to give us 'flowers tomato' in the third para!! Won't be making it as I'm too old to have more dust-gatherers in my home and so are my friends, but I love watching younger people (like you!) making things.

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow this is stunning ,your good at this mixed media stuff Ha Ha !!!,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely stunning John, a wonderful piece of art work, love it, Kate x

    ReplyDelete