Monday, 11 May 2015

Something Blue...

Happy Monday,

I thought another trip to Portugal was in order however this time I had to make the trip in, what is fast becoming, my signature colour of Periwinkle blue!  I started by die cutting the filigree largest die from the set and added in the inset in the blue.  I then cut the next largest filigree die in the coconut white and placed the blue on top so that the white popped through the blue.  I love this background as it has a real art deco look to it and is so versatile!

To make the main element I selected the Lisbon die set from the range and started cutting the dies, in sequence using alternate layers of the blue and white.  The series goes Largest outline and next size with filigree, largest outline and second size filigree, second outline and smallest filigree and finally largest outline in white onto which I had stamped the sentiment, from my Tulip stamp set, in blue archival ink in the centre .  I then foam mounted these to make this complex looking set of layers.  I know this sounds complex however when I demo it it seams really easy, guess its one you have to watch!

To decorate I cut a series of the new Perfect Peony Open Petals Open dies in white and the matching Complete petals dies in the blue and layered them together adding a large(8mm) pearl in the middle.  I also added some of the leaves form the set to balance the flowers and just pop out naturally as they would in nature, although I don't remember seeing flowers in this colour combination in any garden.

To finish the card I pierced a layer of the blue and added my usual series of mats, layers and steps.  The technique and sizes `I use for the layering of my cards is something else I usually demo this week I am at Daisies jewels and crafts in Coventry on Friday demonstrating the techniques used with this card and the other stunning dies in the new Sue Wilson collection for Creative Expressions.  On Saturday I will be at That's crafty in Romford with a mix of demonstrations and make and takes so that's a fair selection of places covered lol!


Ingredients:
Links will take you to the products in Julia Watts new on line store!
Creative Expressions Craft dies by Sue Wilson
Portugal collection Background
Lisbon die set
Perfect Peony Open Petals
Perfect Peony Complete Petals
Periwinkle and Coconut White foundation Card

Enjoy...




43 comments:

  1. A stunning effect.
    Jan
    Northampton

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely superb !

    Hugs,
    Rose,
    xx
    Tomar, Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John.
    Brilliant in Blue, thank you take care Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, a very ornate and gorgeous card. I love layered intricate cards, and the colours are a well loved favourite. Have a great day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning card John, love the dies and the colour, perfect, thank you, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning John, A lovely card.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning John this is a gorgeous card I love the colours and how you have used the dies. Have a wonderful day today. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning John, another winner it is gorgeous.
    Nancyd xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John, A stunning card and love the dies you used nice to start of the week in Portugal!!Take care Jane B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow-beautiful card & love all the layers.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John,
    It's absolutely gorgeous, all the layers work beautifully.
    Lorna D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning John, Wow this card is beautiful and like you I love the periwinkle colour. Think I'm going to need these dies as well as all the others don't think I can manage to get them all in one go the bank manager won't like me for that lol.
    I mastered the folded flowers idles last night using foundation card, they came out quite well considering I didn't know what I was doing. I hadn't got any felt to use.

    Keep up the great work you, Sue and Julie are certainly keeping me full of ideas with all of your inspiring work.
    Thanks
    Maggie in Solihull

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morning John,
    Great card, love the layering of the die cuts. Gorgeous.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous card John, love the colours...and best of all I can now pin your cards for future reference.(it was me who asked Julia at her demo on Saturday to tell you how to do it...THANK YOU)
    Love Janet x
    from Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning card John, love the blue and the Portugeese Die is fabulous. Attended a demo with Julia in Leeds and she demo's this die - it is simply stunning. Crafty Regards Julie Kay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning John, love all the layers and the Periwinkle card is one of the best colours ever!!!

    Love & hugs


    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John. This s a real stunner. I love the periwinkle blue/coconut white and the way you have put this card together :) You are out and about such a lot now aren't you, you are getting to see many parts of the country, lucky you. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John
    Love this card especially the lovely periwinkle card.
    Ginnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely layering up on this card John.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous John.
    I'm liking the new flower dies too.
    Love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous John.
    I'm liking the new flower dies too.
    Love
    Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely colour that periwinkle blue! Love the card and I'm really taken with the new peonies too

    ReplyDelete
  23. Afternoon John, Beautiful card, love the colours, thanks for sharing!
    love Junex (Cumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi John you have come up with another stunning card in a lovely summery
    blue, absolutely gorgeous combination.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi John,
    Beautiful card, love that periwinkle colour a lot
    Have a nice evening,
    hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi John, this is gor-or-orgeous! Love the colour and love the layers. It's beautifully ornate without being too frilly and fussy, fab!
    Blessings - Deb C xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi John , this is a gorgeous card, one of the nicest I've seen, you are so talented. Bye for now Susan Dunn (Cumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Eh up John
    Sorry I'm late today. Trying to rest my wrist.
    This is absolutely superb, from the colour choice to the design.
    Sorry I'll miss you at Daisy's Friday. . . . .hate it when work interrupts my social life hahaha!
    Have a great evening!
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  29. great card ,love the dies and colour ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi John,
    another of your superb designs.
    Love the colour ,and the superb design of this.
    Wonderful flowers too.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful card and love the background and the the sentiment is a really useful one to have - love your colourway too xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi John sorry to be so late been one of those days. This was one of the cards I really admired on Saturday lovely colour and design love from Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi John, you are using my favourite Periwinkle Blue card again isn't it the BEST ever blue you could use. This card is absolutely stunning I just love every ibit of it. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi John, stunning card. Love all the dies you have used an that blue is a def favourite. Take Care Melody x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Lots of lovely layers on this card John. Love the gorgeous periwinkle blue. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi John

    Just amazing xxx

    Hugs, T x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi John,
    FABULOUS card love it ! love it ! love it! What happened to the pin it button today !!
    I still managed to pin it by using yesterdays pin it button and there was your fab card of today.
    Love Janet x
    from Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow John this card is fabulous. Just love it x

    ReplyDelete
  39. John this is my kind of card, love the periwinkle - gorgeous

    Everyone stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete