Thursday, 21 May 2015

Blue Thursday?!?...

Happy Thursday,

I know its a day early for Blue but I couldn't resist this periwinkle card from the POD shows with Sue Wilson.  I think its the wide borders that appeal to me, one thing I usually say to people when I am demoing is the I like to frame my cards which is why they have so many layers.  I do feel that when you make a card you are making a piece of Art and as such you should frame it!  Speaking of demoing I will be updating my list of demo's as I have booked another range in independent craft shops and in the Strikes garden centres.  This weekend I will be in Astray Meadow Congleton, click HERE for details, at the Strikes garden centre demonstrating techniques in die cutting using the new range of Sue Wilson's dies for Creative Expressions.

Back to today's card and I wanted to try the technique that Julia Watts demonstrated on her Craft Clinic show last month however it doesn't show well on this card!  I used the letterpress technique with the embossing folder using perfect medium.  I then brushed pearl mica powder into the deboss areas to give a pearl sheen to the debased area.  I then added PVA pearls in cosmic pearl colour to highlight the flourishes on the embossing folder.

To make the topper I die cut the the St Kitts die set from the Caribbean Collection.  I used the largest and next sized outline die to cut a frame in the periwinkle.  I then used the same dies to make a frame using a piece of coconut white card that has a sheet of double sided adhesive attached to it.  I then die cut the filigree section in the set from the Blue frame and attached this to the adhesive frame.  I then brushed the same mica powder into the gaps so that the filigree has the same sheen.

I then cut the centre section of the die set in the periwinkle and white and layered them to make the centre section, I then rotated this and offset it as shown.

For the sentiment I cut 2 of the medium tags in the pierced tags set one in blue and one in white.  I stamped the sentiment, from my daisy chains clear stamp set, in black archival.  I then offset the blue tag behind (with foam tape) tied them with a thin strip of bluebird creative expressions ribbon and added it coming from the corner of the topper.

To finish I tied a double bow of the matching bluebird wide double sided satin ribbon and added a strip, for balance, along the embossed piece.  I filled one of the dazzler settings with summer blue PVA to give a mother of pearl finish.  to layer the card I added a couple of mats of Vintage gold foundation card which just balances the brass on the dazzler setting so that it doesn't stand out too much!






Ingredients:
Creative Expressions Craft dies by Sue Wilson
Caribbean St Kitts
Pierced tags
Coconut White, Periwinkle & vintage gold foundation card
Pearl PVA & Mica (cosmic Shimmer)
Blue bird double sided satin ribbon set

Enjoy...

P.S. yesterdays post has been update with the ingredients!


40 comments:

  1. Hi John.
    Just beautiful, thank you. Take care Kitty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning John, such a stunning card, love it, and have got to try this one.

    Stay safe, healthy and happy, hugs, June Smith xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great, John. Will have to rewatch .Julia's show to remind myself of the technique.
    Jan
    Northampton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning John, a beautiful card definately one to try it is gorgeous.
    Nancyd xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning all what a beautiful card today. My favourite colours. Love it. Thank you John you're one talented guy. Xx Dawn M

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello John, lovely card, great layout. Have a great day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning John, a lovely card. Another one to try out soon as my embossing folders arrive. Lots of birthdays coming up in my family so I had better get cracking.
    Thanks
    Maggie in Solihull

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card John and my favourite colour, thank you, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morning John,

    Stunning card, love the letterpress embossing, you can see a subtle shade of Blue, just a hue! It does look pretty. Love the design of your layout too.

    Have a great day

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie j xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good morning John this is a gorgeous card I love the colours. The dies are amazing. I must try the letter press technique again. Have a great day today. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great card-love the colours.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning John, Beautiful card, love the periwinkle colour and new dies, love Junex (Cumbria)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John, Lovely card in a great colour and a very nice design.Take care Jane B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Morning John, such a lovely card today, beautiful colours :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jhn. This is a beauty. Love the Periwinkle blue and the way you have used the dies. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous I must try PM as a letter press technique I have all this "stuff" and forget to use it (probably because I'm a little scared if it and hate waste!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Another masterpiece!
    Just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good morning John the letterpress background is very effective and the blue is so pretty love from Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi John,
    FABULOUS, FABULOUS card today.....love it, love it, love it. The pin it button is back....YES!
    Sorry to keep going on about it but I just love to save your cards for future reference, along with Sue's and Julia's, my three favourite crafters.
    Love Janet x
    from Wakefield

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John,
    It is simply stunning! Periwinkle is always gorgeous, and your wider borders just show it off to perfection. Love it!!!
    Lorna D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Morning John,
    Gorgeous card, love it all.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eh up John
    The periwinkle is a lovely shade and makes this card doubly fab.
    As I've said before, me and letter pressing is more like letter messing but I should give it another go.
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Morning John
    Love this card the periwinkle shade is one of my favourites
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Another fab card in another fab colour combo - like you say the letterpress doesn't show up too well on the photos but I can imagine it looks lush xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi John
    Another fabulous card today. Love this letterpress technique, especially using Mica.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful card John just love it .. so gentle Crafty Regards Julie Kay xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi John,
    This card is absolutely gorgeous. Love the way you've used the EF and the dies and I can see that I won't hold out much longer for those St. Kitt's dies...
    This card positively sings to me. thank you for sharing.
    Best wishes, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fab card john, I just love the periwinkle colour.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi John, another beautiful card I love the layout and the blue card is great, I have managed to order some and am waiting for it to arrive, boy do you have to be quick to get this card!!, Please can I ask if you would kindly put the size of the card you make when giving us the details of what you use, thanks John.
    Regards Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Afternoon John, Stunning! I love this card. Nancy xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi John, Firstly, Thank You for updating yesterday's Blog Post with the Ingredients.
    Secondly, I adore this periwinkle cardstock, it is such a beautiful baby blue colour, truly gorgeous, as is your card.
    Lots of love from Patricia xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi John stunning card I love the blue.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi John,
    another stunning card especially in our favourite periwinkle colour.
    Hope you had a good day,
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi John, lovely card can't ever get enough of the periwinkle card stock, love the embossing background. Take Care Melody x

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow I absolutely love this card it is so pretty especially in the periwinkle which is my absolute favourite.
    I definately must get that embossing folder.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi John

    Utterly stunning. Really classy looking card.

    Hugs

    T x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my word, what a beautiful creation. The colour is so pretty and I love the letterpress technique. Pat x

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi John,
    just back tracking as I couldn't comment yesterday.
    Oh I love this fab creation it's so wonderfully designed, and created.
    Pity about us not seeing the letterpress mica, as I bet it looks wonderful in person.
    I love that fab embossing you have used, but you haven't mentioned which embossing folder it is.
    I will email you please to find out.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete