Saturday, 6 December 2014

A Gilded Different saturday...

 Happy Saturday,

This is a card form one of my recent shows and although I demoed this technique I didn't show the more complex card that I made before working out how to make a quicker version to demo.  I thought this was different enough to make a different Saturday!

This is a great technique for using up those tiny scrapings of Gilding Flakes that are left after you have made bigger projects in the bottom of the tub!







All I did was to die cut the centre filigree circle from Sues Italian collection Decorative Frames in a square pattern eight times around a square on a piece of Vintage Gold foundation card.  Next I added a scrap piece of double sided adhesive sheet to the back of the card, leaving a 1/2 cm border and stuck it down to a brown piece cut slightly larger.  Next I added all the small bits of gilding flakes over the whole piece rubbing them into the detailed sections also allowing bits to go over the edge to create a border.

I stamped the sentiment, form the Creative Expressions friends sentiments set, in the centre (which could be changed to a nice New Year card I thought).  The whole piece was then mounted onto a 21 x 21cm card blank made with layers of the brown and gold with an embossed panel at the front.


From this picture you can hopefully see that the small pieces give a lovely shine and as the apertures in this die cut are small you don't need to have large pieces to use.  It reminds me of a glitter like effect with all the small twinkles of colours in gold , bronze and silver.

Ingredients:
Sue Wilson's dies
Italian Collection Decorative Frames
Mixed Gilding Flakes (mixed from Leftovers form different pots and projects)
CE Friends sentiments stamp set
CE A4 Embossing Folder Knotted Trellis
Gold and chocolate foundation card.

Enjoy...





Don't forget Julia Watts is on Create and Craft today at 10am and 3pm with some beautiful samples and demo's.  I will be back on your screens the first week of january (date and times to be confirmed) with a die and stamping show!  Also there is a mega Advent event happening on the Craft Clearance website.  This weekend 25% extra off everything on there including Dies and Stamps.  A different offer every day on http://www.craftclearance.co.uk


23 comments:

  1. Another beautiful card John. I love gilding flakes so they are always a treat for me.

    Hugs Alice xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. This is a lovely card for so most occasions, and it is great for the men too! I love the mix of tiny bits of embossing flakes, this is a great way to use them up. Have a good weekend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. Sadly my DVD recorder has packed up so I no longer have your demo saved so thank you for this post. I need to make a male birthday card today and this would be ideal. I just hope mine turns out as lovely as yours. Thank you for the inspiration and hope to see you back on our screens soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your generous shares and all your information, lovely card, all the detail you have put into this project fabulous x x x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning John this is a gorgeous card. When I get my Grand Calibur back I will be having a go at this design. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic card today-love it.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morning John,
    Great card, such a clever use of the small die. Love it.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John, really lovely, like the way you have cut the dies. Have a great day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  9. love this one, not sure i could line them up perfectly like you though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I fell in love this card when you demo-ed it on C&C I Like the minimalist look, technique would be beyond me. I know at least one die would end up wonky however hard I tried to line it up! have a great week end everyone

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this card, colour choice is beautiful! Great way of using a small die but, like Carol not sure if I could line up as you have done

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morning John
    This is a gorgeous card and a good way to use all the little bits of flakes.
    I also liked the card very similar to this with the three apertures at the side (think that's the one to start with for me).
    Thank you for all the inspiration.
    Sheila x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi John,
    Very classy card today John and an ideal man card.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one John,like Sheila said - Ideal for a man's card.
    HAGD, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good morning John this is such an elegant looking card Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Eh up John
    Super card matey and it is a handy way to use your bits.
    Made me smile as I did it on a card in Summer where I meant to fix the mica sentiment with hairspray but sprayed it with shaving foam instead, nearly wrecking the card hahaha! What a Muppet eh?
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful card John, love the use of 'little bits' of gilding flakes.

    Love &Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx

    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful card John as others have said it would be a great one from the men . I love it. Take care Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love this die, and the way you have used it, I shall give this one a try. Thanks for including some dimensions, very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Brilliant card and like you say a great way to use bits up - make a great male card too xx I have received my replacement waxes today so thanks for the 'heads up' on that and a free cosmic shimmer glue to cover postage which is my glue of choice so a double whammy xx also thanks to Ira who left a message on Johns blog and my blog too but doesn't look as though you have a blog I can respond too - so hope you read this xx enjoy the rest of your weekend xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. great card love it and so nice to see a way to use up bits of gilding flakes .Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you've used the Italian die John, smashing card.
    Lynne x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi John,what a great way using up the small bits of gilding flakes.Have only used mine once and not sure if again,it went everywhere :-)
    Maria x

    ReplyDelete