Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Tuesday, 14 October 2014

Keeping It simple...

Happy Tuesday,

Today's card is a very simple affair that shows off the beauty of Sue's finishing touches Magical Butterflies set.  The set cuts the intricate butterflies but also, on some of these, cuts a separate border making placement within the apertures nice as a small section of the background shows through.

I started therefore by Die cutting a series of three butterflies in a line from Blush Foundation card.  I then die cut the same three from grey foundation card to give  a strong contrast.  It was only after starting this colour combination I realised how 1980's Terence Conran it was! lol.

I foam mounted the blush piece over a piece of coconut card that I had embossed using the Creative Expressions A4 Sea Garden embossing folder.  I added a thin mat of the grey then placed the grey butterflies inside the apertures.  To give dimension I glued these along the bodies only so that I could fold out the wings.  To make the bodies I added a few dots of Pearl PVA glue dots.


I embossed another full sheet of the blush using the same sea garden folder and mounted the front piece on top again with a grey mat to balance the design.  At this stage the card looked simple, however it also looked unfinished so i grabbed another piece of blush and made one of Sue Wilson's pierced borders, again edged in grey.



The sentiment is simply stamped in Grey Ink onto a waste piece of the embossed blush card cut with the smallest die form the French Collection Auvergne with a edge of grey cut with the plain die shape from the French Collection Burgundy die set.

A very clean and simple looking card in a colour combination, whilst still looking a little 1980's habitat to me, that I really like.

Ingredients:
Sue Wilson's Dies
Magical Butterflies
Auvergne
Burgundy
Creative Expressions A$ Sea Garden Embossing Folder
Creative Expressions Sentiment Stamp
Cosmic Shimmer Pearl PVA
Blush & Grey Foundation Card

Enjoy...

24 comments:

  1. Hi John,
    Beautiful Card Today as always, I Love how you've created The Butterfly Apertures The Butterflies look so effective in the apertures, I Love The Sea Garden Embossing Folder you've used the Embossed detail is great.
    I'm not good at Piercing around the edges I've tried many times but I can't seem to get them to stay in straight line, the same with The PVA Pearls I'll just have to continue to practice.
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is "wicked" 80's or not I love this colour combo I remember yellow and grey as another favourite in the 80's too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely card John. Very elegant and butterflies are always a winner for me. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good morning John your card is gorgeous so very elegant. You can't go wrong with butterflies. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty John and who does not like butterflies?.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love todays card! Could be because I was such a Habitat fan in the 80's?!

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card John, love the butterflies.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John. Loved yesterdays card, I did have to read the instructions a couple of times before I got it though : )
    Todays card is a beauty. Love the butterflies and the colours. Yes, it reminds me of Habitat too : ) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had a lovely quilt cover set from Habitat in the 80's, funny how one comment evokes memories.........but back to today and yes, butterflies, can't go wrong with them and I love the colour combination you have used. Best wishes Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John, a beautiful card, I love butterflies and have a number of die sets, but not this one yet, it is on my wish list. Have a good day. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the simplicity of this card all the layering makes it .Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John,
    Love, love, love this card...the simplicity of it makes it so elegant and you have used my favourite creature....the butterfly....they are so pretty.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eh up John
    Im not a fan of the blush but I do like the elegant simplicity of the design. Im like Karen and remember the lemon and grey in the 80s . . .my school bag and jacket, duvet cover and the list goes on lol!
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous John, as you know, I love butterflies, xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Morning John,
    Love, love, love your beautiful card, great use of the butterflies, and I great colour combination.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John, a pretty card today. However, I do have a question for you - how to you stop your card being too heavy at the front when you have so many layers. I made a card with layers on when I stamped across all 4 layers. But when it was complete it kept falling forwards with the weight of the layers. Do you add another piece of card to the back of the card? Janice xx
    http://createdbyjan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good morning John,
    Well Terence Conran or not i like the pink and dark grey together as it makes a beautiful card. The butterflies are so pretty looking and with the white just poking it's head out the apertures to say hello is nice. And you adding a touch of Sue to your design just finishes it off lovely.
    Thank you John,
    Crafty hugs
    Norah (Glenochil)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful! If I made it, I would do it up the other way, (biggest at the bottom) but that is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous card and luv this emboss folder so a winner for me - I have a pack if the blush card but not keen in it but like it with the grey so may just have to fish it out and have a dabble!! Butterflies are always a winner for me too so a fab card for me xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John,
    I love anything and everything with butterflies on it, so this is one of my very faves of your super creations.
    crafty regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card John, love the butterfly dies they are so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Wow John fantastic card,love the soft pink,the butterfly's show up on my screen as black,but works well with black.I suppose all things are hotting up for your T.V. Launch.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello John, beautiful card, love the butterflies, I would love to receive a card like this. Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi John
    What a gorgeous card. I love the simplicity of the two colours. Very well done. One reason that I really like Sue's dies is that there is sometimes a pattern on the outside edge, which is really effective in an aperture. She thinks of everything! But, of course, you've brought it to life! Best wishes, Anne O

    ReplyDelete