Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Saturday, 4 October 2014

A Saturday Box, Hurrah!

Happy Different Saturday,

Well it faintly had to return to normal and I make a Box as my something different Saturday project again!  Now my long term followers and viewer will know that I have a love of making boxes but I haven't made one or shown it since my return to the UK.  Well now I have made 2 however the photos simply don't do them justice.

The first is a box for the Trifold card I made for Mondays Trifold screen card, if you missed it click HERE to see the original Card.  This style of card does not like an envelope and even the most careful Postman Pat could damage it so a box is required.  I made the box using the same die set from Sue Wilson's latest collection and I simply cut the filigree sections and made the piece into a lid.





The second Box is more complex and is for the Card I made in this post HERE.  Again this card requires a box for it as although its not delicate it can easily be squashed!

I started this box by cutting one of the French collection background die using coconut white foundation card and a double sided adhesive sheet.  I didn't cut the die cut in the centre of the sheet as being quite an intricate die it likes a lot of pressure to cut and my machine (all machines, even form the same brand, have different sweet spot and areas where intricate dies don't do as well)



  Therefore I cut it as a single piece especially as the double sided sheet adds extra difficulties sometimes as there are three layers to cut.  I then made a box lid and cut out a panel slightly smaller than the background die cut and attached the die cut at the back.  I had already made the lid out of a piece of card that had another double sided adhesive sheet attached.

Finally I pulled off the top sheets form the adhesive sheets and covered the whole box in microbeads. Its really hard to see this in the photo but it has a beautiful look in real life as it positively shines.

Enjoy...

18 comments:

  1. Morning John,
    I Love your Beautiful Boxes, and coming up to the festive season it's not just Cards you can place in them you can place small gifts etc: John your a true star, thanks for sharing your wonderful work.
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning John your boxes are gorgeous. I love making boxes thank you for the inspiration. Have a great day. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning John. The boxes look beautiful enough as they are but I can imagine how stunning the second one must be with microbeads on it.
    I do make quite a few boxes but the lids are usually plain with some embellishments on them. Never been brave enough to die cut a shape in them. Will have a go, after all it's only a piece of card I can ruin!!!
    Have a great weekend John.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John. As I am new to your blog I wasn't aware of your box making prowess. I am currently making a wedding card and your boxes today have inspired me to use your idea for the box. I normally just make a plain box and decorate it as I had never thought of using a die on it. Thank you for inspiring me. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning John,
    What can I say but simply gorgeous, love both boxes.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous John love the spiders web one, such a pretty die, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh up John
    I love dies that work this way as you can turn an ordinary box into something very special. A simple thing to do but looks terrific and showcased beautifully here by you.
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good morning John, I love your boxes. I always make special boxes for my friends to go with their cards. I try to make them sturdy enough so they can use them for other things. Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John,
    Oh such beautiful boxes....they will make a card or gift even more special. Many thanks for all the inspiration you give us with so many individual cards and projects.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, yes, yes A box! They're gorgeous I'm a bit loathe to make a box because they scare me! But now I've achieved a bag which I was really pleased with I will be more adventurous

    ReplyDelete
  11. A box does finish a special card, and these 2 are really lovely.
    Cheers
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello John, really lovely boxes. Just need to find the time. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two gorgeous boxes - but these are far too nice to put into the postal system xx luv them - enjoy the rest of your weekend xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello John, I like making boxes for my cards never thought to use my dies to decorate them in this way. I usually cut out and stick my die cuts to the box.
    Thank you for your inspiration, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Afternoon John, two lovely boxes, I do prefer my special cards to be in boxes

    ReplyDelete
  16. two fab boxes ,like the second one best the die used is fantastic ,love it .Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John,love,love the two boxes,I wish I could make one,I am still stuck on the design for thank you cards,the list is getting longer.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful creations John, love your boxes, I bet they look stunning close up?

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete