Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Friday, 10 October 2014

A Gilded Christmas...

Happy Christmas Friday,

Today's card is a feast of bright gilding flakes which, in real life, almost look like flames flickering in the light.  I started by taking a piece of Milk Coloured Foundation card and die cutting the filigree inserts from the Sue Wilson Vintage Bauble die set in the centre.  I offset the two baubles to give a look as though they were hanging in the air!



  I added Ivory PVA glue pearls and then distressed the whole sheet using Spiced marmalade and vintage photo Distress Ink, i ran the cut n dry foam over the (dry) glue pearls which gives them a lovely colour.





Next I added a piece of double sided adhesive sheet to another piece of Milk card and gilded it with the Red Blaze Cosmic Shimmer gilding flakes.  I then die cut two of the corners form the vintage bauble set for the middle of this piece being carefull not to cut anywhere that could be seen through the die cut baubles (that made sense in my head, perhaps as Mr Duck says I need a Secretary!)

I mounted the die cut piece with foam tape over the gilded piece then simply created some mats and layers to house the card.  The border is made by running double sided tape around the edge of a piece of the milk card and then gilding that which saves on gilding a whole sheet for a mat!

Ingredients:
Sue Wilson's Dies - Vintage Bauble
Milk Foundation Card
Cosmic Shimmer Red Blaze Gilding Flakes
A4 Double Sided adhesive sheets

Enjoy...


25 comments:

  1. Hi John. Wow, both yesterdays and todays cards are real stunners. The cobalt/black one with the beautiful stamp is striking but in a lovely way, I don't think it is too bright at all. Todays gilded card is gorgeous, I love the baubles, the fisrt time my daughter saw one cut out she thought it was an old fashioned hot air balloon! Using double sided tape for gilding edges is so easy., it's a good way to start gilding if you feel a bit nervous- not that anyone needs to be as the worst you can do is waste a bit of card and a tiny amount of gilding flakes! Thank you John for such gorgeous cards : ) Glad to hear that you had a lovely birthday surprise. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning John,
    What a Stunning a Card, I Really Love The Red Blaze Gilding Flakes and The Fabulous Baubles, I Love how you've used the Ivory PVA Glue to create your Pearls then gone over them with your Distress Ink, I Love The Awesome Corners, thank you so much for sharing John, and the great photography.
    Hugs from Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, stunning card, love the beautiful rich colours of the gilding flakes, and the way you have done the corners with them too. Bx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful John. Love the gilding flakes nd the beautiful corners.
    Enjoy your day.
    Love val x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning creation once again John, love the colour of these gilding flakes very Autumn tones. Great design too.

    Maybe you should have Mrs Duck as your secretary lol! Doubt you would get much work done but could be fun!!!

    Love & Hugs


    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eh up John
    Love the effect with the flakes but have to say, without some sort of thread or line, they do look more like hot air balloons lol! That's ok thought as they would be the fanciest ones on the planet lol!
    I understood what you meant about the corners and folks, it wasn't a typo, it was MR Duck who said John needed a secretary. . . Not me, Im too expensive lol!
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely card & the same for yesterdays post. Thought the colour yesterday was brilliant-not too bright at all.

    Glad you had a lovely birthday, it sounds like your partner is very kind & thoughtful.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning John,
    A lovely card, love gilding flakes.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply gorgeous I keep changing my mind as to Christmas dies I can afford to buy (wish I could justify buying them all) d**n you! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    Oh what a fiery beauty! I love it, love it, love it!! I have seen this colour gilding flakes before, they are stunning are they new.
    Have a great day.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh the gilding flakes. How lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic card John,I agree with Mrs Duck about the little hanging up bits.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the effects you have on the card John, but my first thought was that they were hot air balloons, I think they do need to be tethered to the top of the card, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John, can just imagine this shining away in a flickering light, lovely card, best wishes Jackie xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John, yes they look like hot air balloons, but I love them because of that. These dies are then not just for Christmas, but make an ideal aviation lover card.
    Cheers
    Janice W

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John your card is gorgeous it does seem to glow. Hugs Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John what a lovely card I love the gilding in the background. I have just started to try out this idea and hope I can get the same results as you Beryl xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John,
    I'm continually playing catch up this week.
    Love this superb design for this and as someone said it it glows beautifully.
    Fab idea the inking of the ivory comic glue dots, I will remember that next time I need to match then up.
    I have these dies as they were my consolation buy for not going to Ally Pally, so I will be trying this.
    Crafty Regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  19. love gilding flakes always looks great,great card .Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  20. Magical...no surprise at your genius.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Gorgeous card John and I love what you have done with the pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Another fab creation and luv it all xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. HinJohn
    A stunning card today. Must try this with Sues bauble dies. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete