Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Simply Playing...

Happy Thursday,




 I thought I should calm down the colours from yesterday and go back to my classic browns and beige's!  This card is a little bit of an experiment as I was trying out a new technique I thought of whilst using the That special touch mask I bought with Mrs duck at the Craft show a couple of weeks ago.  In fact it was a good job the stall had two of these peacock masks as we both had it on our lists.

I started by spray mounting the mask onto plain card to keep it in place however I was a little too overzealous with the spray and the whole piece of card got covered.  I then thought I would try adding different shades of Mica and see if it stuck and it did. The next picture (taken after I had set up my light tent, shows this better.

I then simply made a large background by inking vintage photo DI through the border die form the Sue Wilson Austrian collection and added a few layers of gold mirror card.

I cut one of the borders in gold and placed it down the side with the sentiment, bought at the same show, stamped and embossed then rubbed with the ink to distress it, added on top.

I'm not sure if this truly works but the subtle mica shading does shine in real life.

Ingredients:
That Special Touch Peacock Mask
Sue Wilson Austrian Collection Borders and Tags die set
Sentiment stamp
Gold Mirror card
Vintage Photo DI

Enjoy...

17 comments:

  1. Hi John. I have to agree with Wendy today. I'm just not sure about this one, can't put my finger on it though, sorry, but as the saying goes "It takes all sorts to make the world....". Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like todays card, think its the colours that do it for me!

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colour John and really like the border die.
    Bye for now.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm, have to say I'm in the "not too sure" camp this morning John, though having said that the card looks different in the different lights. best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John, I like this card and the sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning John,
    I'm with the not sure camp as well. I think that there are too many contrasting thing going on. However, I do like the general layout of the card.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh up John
    I'm another hmmmm I'm afraid. I like the individual bits but its all a bit busy together for me.
    Hey, if there was only one mask left, I would've pointed and said "there's Phill Martin" to distract you lol!
    Was going to blog my mica-ed mask card I told you about, tomorrow but will do a different one now lol!
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can just imagine you and Mrs Duck squabbling over a mask John - glad you got one for you, I don't remember seeing anything she has done with hers yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the gold colours and the border strip is so beautiful ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John ,It is not sining to me,but can not put my finger on it.
    So So sorry,I hate having to say this to you.
    Hugs
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John,
    Hmmm! I'm on the fence with this one John although I do like the colours. I

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant - frame it. This one belongs in a museum.

    I like the play of the colours you picked. The sentiment makes my day, thank you. The design is so unique it would stand out among any other cards on the table. I am so glad that your cards do not carry the flea market frills. I have not seen you do a gaudy card as yet. Keep up the great works!
    Happy thoughts,
    Petrina

    ReplyDelete
  13. It works for me and luv the idea of using spray glue for mica powders - happy accident/pure genius!! Luvin the peacock mask and another fab sentiment xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I love it I have the Peacock mask and only used it once Will have to have a go at this one coz I don't use the mica I have Never seem to get the same results I have Stick & Stay.. Is that ok or too strong? And what do you clean mask with? Love card, colours, everything

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John

    Wow I love this 'mistake', more mistakes please.

    June x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John,

    Cannot believe I missed this one yesterday, my apologies. Lovely card, love that peacock mask its still on my list lol! Love the experiment even if it did go wrong.
    The sentiment is an inkylicious one and a great one at that.

    Love & hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete