Sunday, 20 July 2014

Something Simpler....

Happy Sunday,




Now today's card, the last of Christmas in July and again not in traditional colours, is a simple stamped affair with no die cuts at all.  I used the same stamping technique as earlier in the week and I hope to give more details today.  I stared with a sheet of smooth cardstock in a simple cream shade.  The card must be super smooth otherwise the mica sicks to the raised surface.












Firstly I inked up my stamp in versamark or similar perfect medium style of ink pad and stamped each image.  Then using a small soft haired brush I brushed the mica powder, this time in a silver and a blue, over the area I had stamped.  I them used a large soft brush (I use an old blusher brush of my mums for this) to dust off the excess and polish the stamped image.  I then moved on and stamped the next bauble and used the same colours.  As you can see from the card I have used two colours on one of the baubles which is achieved by using a small brush and placing the powder carefully in certain places.










To set the design I sprayed the sheet with hairspray, Wendy tells me this is the technique for chalking, and then stamped on the lines using archival ink in black.  As you can see from the bigger picture of the backing, above, the mica gives a really clear image with a beautiful shine and shimmer which catches the light.







The border, foam mounted over the image, is made by hand cutting a frame in white hammered card and then the frames are scored using my scor-pal.

I hope you like this simple card and again whilst the colours may not be your idea of a classic Christmas it is a technique that can be used in loads of colours.  There are hundreds of mica colours available out there!

Ingredients:
Versamark Ink Pad
DoCrafts Christmas stamp set 2013
Archival ink pad black
Super smooth cardstock



Enjoy...

20 comments:

  1. Hi John, another lovely card. Love using mica powder but the colours I have are somewhat limited. I can hear the credit card making an appearance again.
    Hope you're well on the open road by now.
    You and Ant take care on the journey.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card and colors John..Loz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    Great card, love the use of mica bet it really twinkles. Hope the journey is going okay with not too many hold ups. Take care.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely design and thanks for the tip re using super smooth card stock Like Val my colours I'm Mica are extremely limited so credit card will be coming out

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful card John. Very stylish. Love the colours that you have chosen. Happy travelling. Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This works well with my chalks too. Gorgeous card too, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning christmas card-love it. I was hoping for more christmas inspiration but i'm sure that will happen.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the card today John. I'm waiting for the Tool Shed to come on today, with the dynamic duo (Sue and Julia) on together! I've just ordered the three new embossing folders too, and I feel rather naughty because I'm trying not to spend any money!
    ]

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous! I am going to have to get some mica powders aren't I : ) Hope the journey is going well. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fabulous John, love the design, brilliant colours too.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful John as are all your creations.. thanks for sharing them with us..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John, a beautiful card. I have a few mica powders so will give it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola John, or should it be Bonjour possibly by now?
    Love, love, love this card. So simple to create but so stunning. Must try this one. Have you not tried my fixing mica with shaving foam technique? Hahaha! No? I wouldn't either lol!
    Hope the journey is going well matey.
    See you soon.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab card - luv it and such a simple design and technique but with brilliant results xx hope the journey is going to plan xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fab card - luv it and such a simple design and technique but with brilliant results xx hope the journey is going to plan xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the card John and the sneak Peek. Happy travelling.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John,
    super card. Love the super design, and work gone into this.
    I do hope your move is going fine.
    Crafty regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  18. lovely card ,have been away for two weeks and i missed checking the blog to see what great creations you have done .Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  19. have just looked over all the fantastic cards and project on the blog over the past 2 weeks ,some stunners ,I notice Sue has new dies out too [more sins for you]HA HA ,Good luck with the move ,you will have to show pistures of your new craft room when completed ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John beautifully simple clean looking card. The mica must been very painstaking to apply and I must try it.
    June x

    ReplyDelete