Monday, 14 July 2014

Christmas In July...

Happy Monday,

Those of you who were with me last year may remember that I ran a week called Christmas in August.  This was used to cover a week when I was on holiday in the U.K. doing my Christmas Crafty Shopping.  Well this year I am subverting this a little by presenting Christmas In July to cover the week when I am moving back to the U.K!  I am sure all of you are now aware that I am returning to the U.K. full time and whilst this move and the subsequent setting up of a new craft room (Mr Next Door has grudgingly agreed to let me convert the garage!) will take longer than a week.  However This should cover the travelling time and give me a little time to get a basic set of craftiness set up.









Today hen is the first of my Christmas In July and is inspired by watching Sue Wilson present an early Christmas show in June for C&C.  The first card is an all white and gold affair a colour combination that I love for Christmas as it stands out against some of the excesses of the season!

I started by die cutting the sue Wilson Californian background die from White cardstock then I placed this over a sheet of double sided adhesive and added gold micro beads (these are an old purchase so not sure if they are still available)  Then  I simply stuck this onto a sheet of the much maligned gold mirror card and added some ranger perfect pearls in gold.



The centre section is a layer of Spellbinders Elegant ovals cut in gold mirror card from which I have cut an oval to make a sort of mirror frame (hope the picture shows this correctly)  The remainder is a simple layering of plain and patterned ovals, each decorated with more perfect pearls, foam layered on top of each other.

The Poinsettias are cut then spritzed with water and scrunched up to dry.  This gives a beautiful natural look when they are shaped after they are dry.  These were layered up and a gold pigment ink pad was rubbed over them  to give some highlight and take away the starkness of the white.  The centres are made with more Perfect Pearls and the hand cut banner is stamped and embossed in detail gold embossing powder and is an old EBay set.

A deceptively simple looking and hopefully classic Christmas card that could be converted to any other colours just substitute the gold!

Ingredients:
Sue Wilson Californian Background die
Spellbinders Elegant Ovals
Spellbinders Classic Ovals Small
Spellbinders Poinsettia die
Gold Micro Beads
Gold perfect Pearls
Gold pigment Ink.

I hope you don't mind this early start on Christmas,  a quick update I have now, like all of you from the comments over the last few days, seen the new Sue Wilson dies and I can only say I am blown away!  I am waiting till I get back to England to order any however have just relented and ordered the beveled glass striplet just in case it sells out before I get there. I promise my first new creation as soon as I get back will faeture this in some way!

Enjoy...

18 comments:

  1. Love todays card & of course we don't mind Christmas in July! The bevelled glass striplet is the one I ordered-thats good, I can get some ideas from the wonderful cards you are bound to create.
    Back to work today after a lovely relaxing week off-got to work to pay for all the goodies I ordered!

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John. Love this Christmas card, very elegant and understated : ) I hope the move goes smoothly and you get your craft room sorted quickly and easily. Yes, Sue has done it again hasn't she, a fantastic collection of dies. I still can't chose a favourite but think that the beveled glass striplet will again be one of the first that I buy. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with : ) Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. What a pretty Christmas card. You could it was made by you a mile off. Love the colour and the scrunched up poinsettias.
    Sitting on my hands as really don't want to buy any more dies at the moment but I'm going to have to buy the Striplet as I can't borrow anything from you any more!!

    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A gorgeous card John though I'm not thinking Christmas for ages yet!! We must all be thinking alike after the creations on the striplet from you and Mrs Duck. I too succumbed yesterday and ordered the Bevelled Glass and also Vienna from the Austrian Collection. Best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  5. John, good with your move. I think most crafters are starting on their Xmas cards now. See my blog yesterday !! Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely classic card I've just started doing my Christmas cards They give me something to do when I don't have a friend or family in need of a card I had a sneaky peak at the beveled glass Striplet and that's a definite on my Need List along with all the new bows in the collection All the others look fantastic too but pennies won't stretch to too many I need to get value for money

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hola John
    A picture of festive elegance. Stunning with just the the right amount of glam.
    I hope that garage has been damp proofed for you?
    Have a great day.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning John,
    A beautiful card, I love it, love your flowers. I agree a fabulous dies from Sua again. I need them all, if only I had the money.
    Hope you move goes smoothly.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the card John. I second Mrs.D's comment re the garage.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    Good luck with your travelling and move back to the UK. My craft room has been built in our garage too, and I love it. It's the perfect refuge after a stressful day.
    Your card is stunning! I have all the dies you've used and so I'll be using is as inspiration for my mother's Christmas card. I think she'll love the white and gold - very striking and rich.
    Best wishes
    Anne O

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stunning John, I too love White & Gold for Christmas cards they look so elegant and classy.

    Good Luck with your move back to the UK, I will look forward to seeing all future projects especially with the beveled glass Striplet lol!

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good afternoon John,Wow love it,the white and gold are super.I have ordered the Butterfly's and Tethered Hearts Striplet .
    I do not know how many times I have looked at Spelbinders ,Butterfly's, but they were so expensive,I never got,I am a happy bunny today.
    Joanna has a great price for the Dies,and for me free P.+P. Is a great bonus.
    Regards,
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice card John, and drive safely. Converting a garage will take a while if you want to be able to use it during the winter - lots of insulation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab card - luv everything about it xx when domyiunstsrt your journey? xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. # start your journey ( Blumin iPad!!)! GailT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi John, your cards are absolutely gorgeous and this one is no exception, where do you get all your ideas and inspiration from? Amazing x x x

    ReplyDelete