Thursday, 17 July 2014

Blue and Silver...again?!?

Happy Thursday,

Today's Christmas card is, again I'm afraid, made in silver however this time I have added some blue.  I am not saying that this is my colour theme for this year however it does seem that I may have gone towards this theme.  Please feel free to take ideas from my cards and creations and make them in your chosen colour choices!

This started as an experiment where I wanted to see if the mica stamping technique would work on mirror card.  I find that mirror card on its own is too stark for the front of a card however it does bring some much needed bling to the Christmas season!  Therefore I was really pleased that the technique worked, it does however need a lot more sealing with a fixative or hairspray and drying before it can be handled.

I cut a large plain circle from the centre of the piece and mounted a simple white sheet behind into which I had die cut the wreath like centre die from Sue Wilson's Italian collection umbria die set (which is becoming a fast favourite for my Christmas stuff this year I cant wait to see what you think of Saturdays creation which is made exclusively with this die!)

Next I die cut 2 snowflakes from spellbinders snowflake pendant 2013 in sliver and blue card and foam mounted these over the centre of the 'wreath' .  The whole piece is then mounted onto silver mirror card then a few mats of white, blue and silver before being placed on a large 18x18cm card blank.

I added in  a few (hundred) stick on gems to highlight the snowflakes and the 'wreath' with three at each corner to frame the card.

Ingredients:
Chocolate baroque snowflake background stamp
Creative expressions platinum mica powder
Sue Wilson Italian collection Umbria die set
Spellbinders Snowflake Pendant 2013

I hope there are plenty of ideas you can take from this card if not the colours!

Enjoy...

12 comments:

  1. Hi John. Love the stamping and the beautiful Umbria set. Can't see any blue on my screen sadly, in fact it looks red which looks lovely anyway.
    Bye for now.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,

    This is gorgeous, love the centre piece, so elegant. Beautiful Christmas card.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it as it is John (I can see the blue), but I could see that it could also be made in different colours, so it's quite versatile. You will soon be on your way now, so take care as you travel across Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning John,
    Beautiful card, love it. Safe journey.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you've softened bog standard mirri card Back in the day I used mirri all of the time but now I rarely use it except for Christmas cards I must give this a go although my attempts with mica have been disasterous so far

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola John
    Love it matey! Not getting the blue, just various shades of silver/grey but its delish!
    Have a great day and hope Mr ND isn't on a late flight.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning John and I don't blame you for sticking to one die if it makes such super cards. Will be missing now for a week on holiday but I'll look forward to catching up on your creations on my return by which time I hope you will be nicely settled in your new abode , best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John
    This is a beautiful card. I love the dimension that this hard has. Beautiful composition. I have quite a few snowflake dies, but not a single snowflake stamp! I might need to do something about that!
    Buen viaje

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fab card and luvin the use of the Umbria die set and can't wait to see what you have in store for us this Saturday as this is one do the SW die sets I bought xx GailT xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another lovely card-great christmas colours. Love everything about it.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this card-great christmas colours.

    Michele.

    ReplyDelete