Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Sunday, 30 March 2014

Mothers Day...


Happy Mothers Day to all mums,


This is the gift I made for my Mum today...

It is based on the simple premise of die cutting hearts with felt then hand-stitching them together using contrasting embroidery thread in blanket stitch.  Now although I thought this was simple I started it before valentines day (not usually that organised!)  However I am glad I did, I had to teach myself to blanket stitch for a start, thank you you tube.

I cut the hearts using a sizzix Bigz heart die as this cuts felt beautifully and the die cuts 3 different sizes in each pass. Once almolst stitched together I stuffed the hearts with the contents of an old pillow (the same one I used for the Pin Cushion box's I made back in February)
This was an organic process and so I learnt at the end I really should of stitched in the ribbon loops during the process rather than attaching them at the back.  To neaten the back I stitched each ribbon loop on with a button.


Finally I decorated each heart individually using buttons, bows and felt cut letters to spell out MUM before threading them onto a pink gingham ribbon (Ebay bargain) for hanging.

I have popped in a pic of the box I made for this from yesterdays sneak peak in case you missed it. I will Let you know if she liked it!

Enjoy your breakfasts in bed mums!

13 comments:

  1. Hola John
    Just beautiful. Its so lovely it made the tears roll down my cheeks as my Mum would have loved something like this,if she was still with us, as she was amazing at sewing.
    Im sure Mama John will treasure this as it was obviously stitched with love.
    Hug your Mums just that little bit tighter today.
    Ang x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning, John, and Happy Mother's Day to everyone,
    Well, you certainly tugged at my Maternal heart strings here; what a lovely gift to your Mum! I just so wish my Mum was still around, she would have been 100 years old yesterday and all she stood for is still felt by her off-spring three generations later.
    Love to you and all your followers, Lis x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John. What a beautiful gift for your Mum. She will love it I'm sure. Have a good day. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning john,
    What a lucky Mum, a really beautiful gift, I'm sure she will treasure it.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John
    Well i must say you did your Mum Proud ,such a lovely present with love in every stitch and with your lovely box ,Mum will like it John i promise you .
    Have a lovely day all you Mum's out there .

    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John,
    Oh my word what a beautiful present for Mother's Day...I bet your Mum was thrilled with it and it's such a special keepsake too.

    Love Sheila xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. She will love it John, gorgeous, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Mother's Day to all your followers John. Well done for teaching yourself to do blanket stitch. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John I I am also crying,what a superb gift for your Mom will love it,she must be very proud of you,the love for your comes across in every stitch .
    Have a happy Mothers Day everyone.
    Ita.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    your mother must be sooooooooooo! proud of her wonderful craft loving son. I bet she was over the moon with this fab gift.
    It's a very special man that can stitch.
    My Dad could knit and sew, bake, and cook, but was no good at DY or gardening.
    My Mum was a great crafts person, and a fantastic artistic person too. She could draw beautifully, but sadly I never got that gene.
    I do hope your Mother enjoys her day today, and every Mother out there.
    Crafty regards. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is absolutely gorgeous John, your Mother will be so proud, learning Blanket Stitch too in order to complete it so beautifully, well done you. Gosh if my kids made anything like this for me I would treasure it forever. I hope your Mother had a great day.

    Love & Hugs

    Jacquie J xxx
    http://jewelscardcraft.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope your Mum likes this I know I would ,Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers who read this blog.A lovely project ,Laura O

    ReplyDelete
  13. A beautiful gift, so obviously made with love. Your mum must be so thrilled with this. Gorgeous!
    Best wishes
    Anne O

    ReplyDelete