Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Tutorisl Tuesday

Hi Guys,

Loads of you asked for a tutorial on how to do the letterpress technique with your spellbinders gold dies.  Also Ita asked how to make the letterpress embossing folder background, therefore Tuesdays Tutorial.  I first showcased this technique with this post here which was used to show how I take my photos.  Although I don't like to copy cards I have made I thought the best way to meet what everyone asked for was to recreate the card but in different colours!


Sorry this picture is not to my usual standard I took it quickly!

This is a photo heavy post so may be worth putting the kettle on (or in my case opening a fresh bottle of Pepsi Max!)













Foe the background gently colour the depressed section of your embossing folder with your chosen ink pad, I use chalk eyes for this as it gives a gentle colour and doesn't stain the folder too much.

Run this through you GC or other cutting machine as per directions for standard embossing.  You will get a sheet like this...









Next lay your die onto scrap pare and dab the ink pad over all of the die.  Don't worry it looks messy but only the cut sections and debossed bits will mark the die cut.










I used the Spellbinders Gold labels four for this then placed a matching standard labels four die inside to create a frame.  Run this through your cutting machine...









Once cut I colour between the edges of the die to create a deep coloured frame like this...













Finally I cut three different sizes of the frames, these were then used to create the card through overlapping the different frames, using foam pads loaded onto the background, and adding a sentiment.

I hope you get the idea from the pictures I know the written instructions don't really explain everything.  I am going to try a video tutorial someday I promise!!!


To help I have added a picture of the original card, enjoy...







8 comments:

  1. Hi John, don't worry about a video your pictures and explanation work fine!! Thank you for the tutorial. Best wishes Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jackie above, and if i can follow then anyone can .

    Lovely cards John

    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jackie above, and if i can follow then anyone can .

    Lovely cards John

    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John, love the card, Christine Emberson showed me this technique a while ago, she called it reverse stencilling. It creates such a different look. Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,
    Not tried this yet, will have to give it a go. Good tutorial.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John stunning card and a super tutorial,and even I can understand it lol.Thank you so very much for doing this ,it is a lot of work ,you are a very sharing ,and caring person helping all of us,by sharing your ideas.I love the colour's you used on the original card.
    Smiles
    Ita

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely card and I love the colours and design. I've tried this technique before and love the look it gives. Great tut.
    Christine in Essex..x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another beautiful card John your tutorial is great. Hugs, Jen :-) x
    Krafty Keepsakes

    ReplyDelete