Wednesday, 24 July 2013

Petal Power?

Morning Peeps!

Following on from yesterdays inspiration from Heather's roses and petals creations todays crafty offering is made using some real lavender I've had hanging about for an age.  I made this card to, hopefully, make a focus of this bunch of lavender I picked and dried (its easy to dry flowers etc. here as anything you hang up dry's in a couple of days thanks to the heat!)

I started by embossing a cuttlebug embossing folder (creative expressions I think I am terrible with packaging) using the faux letterpress technique in a lavender ink to add a subtle hint of the colour.  I then matted this onto a stronger lavender card before finishing in a white layer.

Next I added a matching strip of ribbon and a messy bow.

TIP ALERT to stop the cut edges of my bows / ribbon from fraying I gently 'melt' the cut end using (very carefully) a lighter which seals the cut. 

I simply tucked the real lavender under the bow.  The whole piece was then foam mounted onto a piece of My Minds Eye paper which married the colours of the stalks and flowers which I had layered in the same lavender / white combo. 



It is difficult to see but the whole piece is stuck to a white base card made by folding an A4 sheet in two.

This picture should show the Faux letterpress technique better.

To complete the card I cut a piece of the paper using spellbinders Labels die (cant remember which answers on a postcard) and stamped the sentiment, which is my view of what craft blogging is for to Enjoy, and foam mounted a frame cut in the same colour as the layering using two of the dies.

Enjoy...

9 comments:

  1. Thats lovely John and bet it smells pretty good as well. Love the background. I also have this die but Like you I get rid of all the packaging and my memory isn't that good to remember the names of them all.
    Of to my house in the hills today as we have a prospective buyer. keep your fingers crossed for me.
    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are actually living in the UK John and peeping at what we are all doing see my post in a couple of days time (scheduled a few days ago I might add!!)

    Very pretty card and I love the lavender touch I was gathering lavender yesterday actually. Ready to dry it is early this year what with the heat.

    Crafty Hugs
    Heather xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning John,
    A lovely card, can't help with the die as I don't have this set.
    Lydia
    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. John, thanks for the tip about ribbon ends. I have been using some clear nail varnish across the ends, but will have a go at burning the end.... watch out fingers!!!... Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John
    A very beautiful card ,It reminds me of Summers long gone by { now im giving my age away haha } ,as usual i love your bow but as you already know me and bows always come to blows , so i will pass on your tip just in case i need to call the fire brigade , lol

    Have a good Day
    Elaine H X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Juan
    thank goodness you explained where you got the lavender from as I thought you had been raiding ladies drawers!
    Fab card. That backing paper is gorgeous.
    Im with Janice and use clear nail polish, mainly as I use a lot of organza which I don't think is flame friendly lol! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John love this card the colours are stunning ,love the idea of the lavander, and it will give a nice fragrance to the card. Thanks for the bow tip,
    Smiles
    Ita

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John, I will have to try your tip for sealing the ends of the ribbon, although I think I will have a fire extinguisher at the ready..lol Sally x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good evening John, Yes!
    I can smell the Lavender, I love that touch, as well as your beautiful card.
    I love doing the Letterpress technique ...
    Have you been spying again??
    I put off posting a card that was similar to yours, this same card uses this technique but I am running out of things to post so will have to show it soon.
    Keep up the great work I love all you great cards

    Patricia x

    ReplyDelete