Email ME

Email ME
I love to hear from you! Please email me for any questions I am unable to reply to comments

Saturday, 18 May 2013

Something (really) Different Saturday

Good Morning all!

Today's something different Saturday is really different this is due to my OH being home from work in England, for a few days at least.  When I'm not " home alone" I don't think its fair to sit at my desk (the craft room is a work in progress) for a couple (quite a couple) of hours making cards and boxes.  The only crafty type thing that is called for is my lemon drizzle cake.  As I didn't have time to make one before I had to whip one up before we went out for dinner tonight.  On our return this was iced and I insisted on it being photographed, whilst putting up with repeated "can I have a piece yet" before we ate it.  So here is something different.







Finally a piece was cut and one was consumed by me, the OH is on a third slice as I write this (its about 10pm Friday night here)  In case anyone fancies making one, here's the recipe...

225g Caster Sugar
225g Butter (unsalted if poss)
275g Self raising flour
4 eggs
Zest of 2 lemons
3Tbs Buttermilk or natural yoghurt

For the Syrup
100g granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons

For the Icing
100g Icing Sugar
Juice and zest of 1 lemon

Method
Beat together butter and sugar, beat in eggs, add flour, buttermilk and lemon zest and mix.
Place in a 7" round tin (or 2lb Loaf tin) and bake in preheated oven at 180 (or 160' Fan oven) for 35 - 45 minutes
Heat the lemon juice and sugar to make a thin syrup.  When the cake is out of the oven and still in the tin poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour the syrup on.  Mix the lemon juice, zest and icing sugar to form a thick(ish) paste and pour over the top of the cake when cooled.

Enjoy (we did!)...


 
 
 




5 comments:

  1. Is there no end to your talents? That cake looks delicious and definitely one i should try. It's making my mouth water. I think it's time for breakfast. Sadly muesli - not cake.

    Love Val x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John,
    Looks scrummy, it's making my mouth water.
    Chris X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh John i am drooling as i have not had breakfast yet and wont for a while as im just off to Weight Watchers ,hoping to get under the next stone and 59lbs lost up to last week . So sadly your beautiful looking cake is a no no for me . However i will make it from your recipe when my family come over next .

    Take care
    Elaine x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this cake John, I make it quite often myself and it is always a winner. I bet it didn't stay on the plate for long!! Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a slice please John you have many talents,I think with this post ypu can see my blog???????
    Smiles
    Ita

    ReplyDelete