Tuesday, 19 March 2013

My Core’dinations Creative Frenzy

I decided to throw my hat into the ring as soon as I heard about the design team call for Core'dinations paper as I love the stuff!  Since I first found this wonderful card I have used it in nearly every project I have made.  The colour core is just so useful, simply sanding or cracking the paper reveals the subtle colour that the darker outer shade has been printed on, a fantastic way to show detail.
The call asks for three new projects so these three are my ones made especially for this.

I have split the cards into three categories, Quick, medium and time consuming lol first easy...
 

Project 1 - Quick and simple


This card is a very simple quick card, the Core'dinations paper is cut with the Spellbinders swinging it die, embossed then sanded.  The paper allows the detail of the tree to show with shadow on the edges where the lighter colour peeps through.  The picture to the right shows the detail of this and the great way the bark effect running through the raised surface shows through.









Project 2 - More time consuming...

This next project is an altered jewellery box covered entirely in Core'dinations paper in shades of lilac and purple, finished off with Cadburys purple ribbon. The colour choice of the Core'dinations card was relatively easy as the shades all came from one pack of paper, all the packs match a specific theme and cover the whole colour spectrum
.
 The top of the box was made with 5cm square pieces of Core'dinations paper, hand cut, then embossed with a simple diamond design embossing folder.  These pieces were sanded and machine stitched onto plain paper, placed on top of a piece of wadding to give a domed effect, before being adhered to the top of an old Jewell box. 

The sides were covered in more prepared squares and ribbon used to add definition to the edges and to neaten off the sides.

This techniques shows how versatile this paper is thick enough to be sanded, stitched with a sewing machine and pulled over wadding!  I love the patchwork look of this, hard to believe this is all constructed from paper!!


 The inside of the box has been left relatively plain with a bigger piece cut and embossed in the same manner, an aperture fussy cut and struck over the existing mirror, simple.





 Project 3 - Slightly more complicated

This project, to my mind, shows what can be achieved with the great tonal shades available  as Core'dinations is sold in collections the choice of colours is really easy. I was able to make the different textures and shades of the foliage by sanding back different leaves cut with three shades of paper giving me 6 different colours, and a multitude of textures.  As can be seen on the birdcage selective sanding can really emphasise where light hits giving even flat shapes a feel of dimension.

 

The birdcage was cut twice from a light silver grey and a darker grey Core'dinations paper sanded and layered to give a 3D element.  The bird was cut the same way this time however I coloured it with Distress ink, then sanded it, attaching a sanded wing.  The roses were cut in a spiral with a magenta sheet sanded in sections, rolled up and sanded again, this gives a fantastic real life touch to it.

This is all housed in a hollowed out box, the front decorated with a navy blue die cut heavily sanded to show age and match the leather cover of the book.

The final picture is of the whole inside.....





 I know this post is a little picture heavy but hey I really like what I created, enjoy...

7 comments:

  1. Three stunning Creations, love them all.xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fabulous John, I can´t believe the box is covered in Paper. Good Luck in the DT Application, it would be great to see someone new that we don´t see everywhere on these teams! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Amazing details. I really enjoyed your projects with the Core. The shadow of the tree on your first card is really neat and that jewelry box... I'll just say my jaw dropped! Thanks for sharing your art with us and good luck to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW these are awesome - fabulous projects with the Core! Best of luck! I have to agree with Andrea the tree was so cool and then when I saw the box and the bird and birdcage I was enchanted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The jewelry box is amazing , stunning entry I love the range of complexity. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous box! Good Luck John!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just found your blog from a link on Christine's Hope & Chances blog. She is right - you are a talented papercrafter! I also love Spellbinders dies and Coredinations cardstock and have been admiring what you've made with them. I do like your submissions for the Design Team - especially that wonderful jewellery box - so I do hope that you get a place. I shall add you to my list of blogs and look out for more of your amazing work!

    ReplyDelete